Cook Family
Genealogy Pages

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames

First Name:

Last Name:

Thomas Chute

Male 1689 - 1771  (~ 81 years)

Personal Information    |    PDF

  • Name Thomas Chute 
    Born 30 Jan 1689  Rowley, Essex County, Massachusetts, American Colonies Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Residence 29 Feb 1728  Old Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, American Colonies Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Raised his home, Old Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, American Colonies
    Appointed 1733 
    Appointed Deputy Sheriff of Essex County by Benjamin Marston 
    Appointed 1735 
    • Appointed to survey, New Marblehead (Windham), Cumberland County, Maine, USA. Drew Lot #12.
    Moved 1737 
    Moved to Falmouth, Cumberland County, Maine, American Colonies 
    Residence Abt 1743 
    • Falmouth to New Marblehead (Windham), Cumberland County, Maine, American Colonies
    Appointed 1762 to 1766 
    Town Clerk, Windham, Cumberland County, Maine, American Colonies 
    Religion 1738 
    • Dismissed from (Old) Marblehead Church, admitted to Falmouth: also, Mary and daughter Abigail.
    Buried 1771  Windham, Cumberland County, Maine, American Colonies Find all individuals with events at this location 

      Thomas Chute and Mary Curtis or Curtice Chute:

      WEC: "Thomas Chute, the third brother, born January 30, 1690, was a "jack of all trades," was married December 11, 1712 to Mary Curtice, by Rev. Dr. Cotton Mather, of Boston and lived there four or five years. He then moved to and settled in Marblehead, where he lived some twenty years, a tailor, farmer and innkeeper.
      September 15, 1722: "Thomas Chute, Taylor, of Marblehead sold to Annas & Thomas Trevy a lot in Marblehead for £100."
      October 2, 1722: "Thomas Chute, for £100 sold a town lott to Symonds Epps in Marblehead. Witnessed by Daniel Epes, Margaret Mackie. Signed by Thomas Chute and a seal, and Daniel Epes, J.P."
      August 5, 1726: Stephen Dudley of Exeter province of New Hampshire gave to Thomas Chute 250 acres of land, being part of a tract given him by Captain Peter Penniwett and Abigail his squaw, &c, &c."
      August 15, 1726: Stephen Dudley of Freetown, N.H., sold to Henry Laine 50 acres, being part of a tract of land given by Captain Peter Pennevit & Abigail his squaw, dated Jan 7, 1718-9, to have & to hold the sd (said) 50 acre right to be laid next to ye right of Thomas Chewte unto him the sd Henry Laine his heirs & assigns forever &c., &c."
      [Note: Col. Stephen Dudley, whoever he was, seems to have kept himself busy in the apparently lucrative 18th century "Indian real estate business" - which is to say that the terms were probably far more favorable to the buyers than they were to the "sellers", and the use of the word "given" in this context seems rather ludicrous. Nonetheless, another 'sale', describes much the same transaction: "Raymond, NH, Town of Rockingham County, was purchased of an Indian by Col. Stephen Dudley in 1717, and went by the name of Freetown, which was included in the town of Chester when incorporated Aug. 27, 1726, and until May 9, 1764, when it was set off and incorporated as Raymond, Chester voting consent thereto June 26, 1763. Boundary line between Candia and Raymond established June 23, 1848." It appears from this that Dudley gave to Thomas Chute land in Raymond, New Hampshire that he had acquired nine years earlier. Captain Peter and his wife Abigail would have most likely been a member of the Abenaki or «u»Pennacook-Abenaki <>«/u» Nations of New Hampshire, whose descendants provide a history that seems a bit more realistic than Dudley's version - that he was merely the delighted beneficiary of some unexpected native generosity.]
      "Accounts of Thos Chute 1725 to 1733, for shus & hos hire."
      August 29, 1727: "Isaac Mansfield & Thomas Chute bo't a lot in Marblehead of Nathan Brown."
      January 5, 1729: "Tho«sup»s«/sup» Chewte of Marblehead in the county of Essex in New England, Taylor, for £51, sold to Jas Waldron, Mariner, a town lot. Witnessed by: Samuel Flack, Nathan Brown, Thos Chute & seal, and Mary Chute & seal."
      1735. "Thos. Chute was deputy sheriff of Essex County, Massachusetts, at Salem. About this time he concluded to move to New Marblehead, or Windham, Maine, but we find that he bought property in Marblehead of Thos. Wood in 1737. He moved to Portland that year as per the following:
      1737. "Received of Thos Chute twenty shillings in part for his fraight of his household goods & family from Newbury to Falmouth. Received by me, Moses Swett, Oct. 24, 1737."
      1738. "Received of Thomas Chute twenty two shillings & six pence in fish which I promise to discount with Mr. Joseph Tappin of Newbury in part for sd Chutes fraight of his goods & family from Newbury to Falmouth as witness my hand, John Swett, Falmouth now Portland, February 10, 1738."
      "After that his accounts and correspondence date from Maine. One is dated, "Falmouth, ye 6, April, 1738" was for Thos Chute to pay Mr. Andrew Tuck forty-five shillings & charge it to Phinibas & Stephen Jones."
      "Thomas Chute was granted land in Windham, Maine (some ten miles north of Portland), in 1735, & sold some again in 1739."
      Here is an old account. Falmouth, November 4, 1760: Received of Thos Chute in Cash seventeen pounds in what we call old tenor, it being in full to balance an accompt which Tho Chutes daughter Abigail Cobham stands charged with in my book. Received by me, William Cotton."
      "New Marblehead & Gorham town gave Thomas Chute power of attorney to plead for them about 1760. Signed by Curtis Chute, Rebecca Bodge, Samuel Conant, Philip Gammon and several more."
      "Thomas Chute was was surveyor of highways, Falmouth, 1741-1742."
      "From May 19, 1746 to Jan 19, 1748, Thomas Chute was a member of Captain George Berry's Company, Falmouth. John Bodge, Curtis Chute, William and Thomas Mayberry were in the New Marblehead Division, Sarg Thomas Chute in command."
      Mary, wife of Thos. Chute (probably daughter of Benj. and Mary Curtis of Scituate), died July 30, 1762, aged seventy or seventy-one.
      Thomas Chute bought land in Maine in 1763. He was town clerk of Windham, 1762-65, inclusive, and one of the selectmen 1765-66."
      A publishment of marriage between Lonon and Chloe Boeth, negroes of the town of Windham, with the consent of their master, Mr. Wm. Mayberry of said town. Signed by Thomas Chute, Town Clerk, 1763."
      "After being a church officer some thirty years, being aged and infirm, Mr. Chute desires release from the deaconship in 1770, and died in 1771, in his eighty-second year."

      "Thomas L. Smith, in his "History of Windham, " says that he commenced the first settlement in this town, " July 30, 1737, "and further states that Chute was born in England, in 1690. This is erroneous, as William E. Chute, in his genealogy of the family, makes him the great grandson of Lionel Chute, who was born in Dedham, England about 1580. He was by trade a "Tayler," but appears to have been a sort of general trader and kept for sale various kinds of merchandise, such as hardware, dry goods and crockery. When the present Town of Windham was granted to sixty inhabitants of old Marblehead, Mr. Chute was one of the grantees. and, in the division of lands, drew Home Lot No. 12. He soon decided to make himself a home in the new township, to which end he closed his business in Marblehead, and, in the spring of 1737, came with his family to Falmouth (now Portland), where he commenced his old business of keeping a house of entertainment and working at his trade. In the meantime. however, he was doubtless clearing some part of his land and erecting a house preparatory to removing his family to New Marblehead. He built his house on his original lot. No. 12. about twenty rods from the Presumpscot River, where the remains of his old cellar are yet to be seen. The precise date of his removal from Portland is not known. but it was doubtless either in the fall of 1737 or the spring of 1738. We think the latter date more likely to be correct, for he was then doing a fairly good business in Portland, as his old account book goes to show and his well-known forethought would have induced him to remain, at least through the winter months, in a civilized community. This, however, is simply an opinion based on the fact that Mr. Chute appears, according to the old Proprietors' book of records, as "of Falmouth" as late as March, 1738. With his usual energy, he at once cleared seven acres of land on his home lot and purchased lots 13 and 14, which adjoined his original lot No. 12. On each of these he also cleared seven acres. Mr. Chute was not only the first settler, but when others came into the township, he became the acknowledged leader and adviser of the infant colony. The church records of the first parish in Falmouth (now Portland) have this entry, in October, 1738: "Thomas Chute, Mary his wife and Abigail, their daughter, being regularly dismissed from the Marblehead church, were admitted to the one here." In December, 1743, when the church was organized in New Marblehead, he, with his wife and daughter, was dismissed to the church there. As the old record says, "He having in God's providence removed to a new settlement called New Marblehead, in order to the embodying a church there, there being a paucity of members." On Dec. 27, 1743, he was chosen Deacon of the newly-formed and weak church, in which office he remained until October, 1770, when, at his own request, he was allowed to resign, and Micah Walker was chosen to fill the office thus made vacant. When the town was incorporated in 1762, Mr. Chute was elected Clerk and served in that capacity until 1765, covering a period of four years. He was selectman in 1765 and 1766. His wife, Mary died July 30, 1762, aged 70 years; and, according to the church records, his own long and valuable life came to a close in 1771, full of years and honors." © All copyrights remain with Samuel Thomas Dole, Frederick Howard Dole and the Windham Historical Society.

      "Settled: 1737 by Thomas Chute and William Mayberry, from Marblehead, Massachusetts. Once called New Marblehead, incorporated was Windham, on 12 June 1762. Thomas Chute was the first white man to settle in the town of Windham and came there in the spring of 1738. He built his house on Lot 12, about 20 rods from the Presumpscot River and the remains of the old cellar are yet to be seen. He was town clerk in 1762 to 1765 and selectman in 1765 and 1766. He was born in Byfield Parish Jan. 30, 1690 and married Dec. 11, 1712, Mary Curtice. His grandson, Thomas, married (int. Nov 22, 1782) Mary, dau. of Capt. Richard and Martha (Bolton) Mayberry. Four of their sons lived in Otisfield; Francis, William Carr, Daniel and Thomas." (For full details of the Chute family see "Windham in the Past", by Dole). [History of Otisfield, page 350]

      Lionel Chute located a wonderful 10-page biography on Thomas Chute and his descendants. This biographical history was presented to the Maine Historical Society in 1882 by William Goold. Despite the wealth of detail about the family provided by someone who evidently knew Thomas Chute's grandson quite well, Goold apparently relied on Dole's «i»History of Windham«/i» for the inaccurate detail about Thomas Chute being born in London in 1690.
      Read before the Maine Historical Society, December 23, 1882.
      Collections of the Proceedings of the Maine Historical Society, Second Series, Volume VII. Pages 412-423.
      Published by the Maine Historical Society, 1896 in Portland, Maine. Press of the Thurston Print, Portland, Maine.
      THOMAS CHUTE, the first settler of Windham, was born in London in 1690, and emigrated to Marblehead, Massachusetts, previous to 1725. The first charge in his carefully kept book of accounts bears that date. He notes that he raised his house on the twenty-ninth of February, 1729. He kept a house of entertainment, and sold all kinds of drinks - toddy, wines, flip«sup»«b»1«/sup»«/b», and the like, and often charged his customers for melting his pewter pots. There was very little money in circulation which compelled the charging of the smallest articles which were finally paid for in barter. The wealthiest people did not hesitate to have a grog score in the public house in what Chute called his "drink book," and when it became large enough it became a debtor item in his account book. He also dealt in other kinds of merchandise, hardware, dry goods and crockery. He was also a tailor, making up his own clothes and those brought to him by his customers. He also made suits of colors for vessels, and has on the cover of the book the quantity of bunting of each color required for an ensign, and for a suit - British of course.
      «sup»«b»1«/sup»«/b»"Flip": "Prior to the eventual move by early mixologists to ice-filled cocktails in the mid-19th century, warm drinks were the rule, not the exception, in the taverns and inns that serviced the eastern seaboard colonies. The drinks themselves were often peculiar, if not downright dubious. These mixtures were heated to a froth with red-hot irons with bulbous ends (known as flip irons, hottles or loggerheads) that were routinely kept in the perpetually blazing fireplaces of the colonies' eating and drinking establishments. In fact, the now familiar expression of "coming to loggerheads," which implies a state of argumentative disagreement, was born in America's colonial taverns because the irons could likewise be wielded as a blunt instrument of persuasion in a dispute between multiple parties.". Source, Pacult, F. Paul, «i»Beverage & Food Dynamics«/i», January/February 1999. URL: «u»<>«/u».
      Chute soon became the owner of buildings which he rented. In 1730 a barber is charged with half a year's shop rent, six pounds, and on the opposite page is credited with the "curling of his wig," and "half a years shaving 1 0 shilling," also, for "a wig for his son," and "shaving his head to receive it." He also had a horse to let, often "double," that was for two persons to ride on his back at the same time. He sometimes let his chaise to go to Boston. This was a pleasure vehicle that was very rare in those days.
      In 1733 Mr. Chute was appointed deputy sheriff by Benjamin Marston, high sheriff of Essex County and we have his original commission. A large part of his book is taken up with charges for the service of writs. The high sheriff was entitled to a share of the fees which compelled the deputy to keep a book separate, with the sheriff, in which each writ is entered; we have that, also, from which we learn that in the four years which he held the office he served nearly one thousand writs, besides other precepts. Mr. Chute served writs for Wm. Shirley, who was afterwards appointed governor of the province. The first charge to him is in 1733. His biographers have it that he did not come from England until two years later.
      James Bowdoin, subsequently governor of the state, Brigadier Waldo, and Andrew and Peter Faneuil, are charged with the service of writs in Essex County. In the book the name of Faneuil is spelt Funel - the same as it is on the family tomb in the Granary burying-ground.
      By his book Chute seems to have served occasionally as an attorney as well as deputy sheriff, and did not hesitate to treat the jury and witnesses. The following charges were made in 1735:
      Alexander Watts, Mariner.

      Dec. To my attending the court three days at Salem, 2 s per day ..... 6 shillings
      To my expenses ... 15 shillings
      To cash I gave to treat the jury - 10 shillings
      We got our case - Hines appeals.

      At the review of the case he charged again:
      1736, May Court. To cash paid Mr. Gridley, ye lawyer ... 1 pound
      This was Jeremiah Gridley of Boston, who afterwards became the king's attorney. One pound for attending court at Salem and making a plea seems at this time a very small fee for one of Gridley's ability and celebrity. The next charge is:
      To cash to treat ye jury after they gave ye cause in favor of you .... 10 shillings
      At the Ipswich term in the following October, in another case for the same client, there is a similar charge for treating the jury, and another for treating "ye witnesses."
      In 1733 Sheriff Marston is charged for cash paid for whipping John Barnor, and for putting him in jail.
      Soon after the treaty with the Indians in 1727«sup»«b»2«/sup»«/b», it was decided by the provincial government to survey a second or back tier of townships, between Salmon Falls River and the Androscoggin, and offer them to settlers on very easy terms. For nearly a century the old towns had formed a single line between the ocean and the wilderness, and never were a people's prudence and heroism more severely tried by the Indian enemy. Four new townships were granted: one of which was New Marblehead, now Windham, on the petition of inhabitants of old Marblehead in Essex County.

      «sup»«b»2«/sup»«/b»Treaty of 1727: negotiation for peace at the conclusion of Dummer's War between the English and the Akenabi Confederacy of Maine/Massachusetts, signed at Casco Bay, that resulted from European land encroachment. The Akenabi, represented by Panaouamskeyen, strongly objected to the wording of a treaty which did not represent their words or intent during negotiations with Boston colonists. Panaouamskeyen dictated a document clarifying his actual words and intent after the treaty, which can be read «u»here <>«/u». The English translation of Panaouamskeyen's clarification can also be found in: DAWNLAND ENCOUNTERS: Indians and Europeans in Northern New England, Colin G. Calloway, University Press of New England, 1991, 0-87451-594-7 (Pg.115-118). As is true in most conflicts, the English were not the only combattants whose "prudence and heroism were severely tried."
      Thomas Chute was one of the original grantees of the township, and was chosen one of a committee of three to accompany the committee of the General Court in the location and survey of the township, which was begun in April, 1735. In the distribution of lots Chute drew home lot number twelve. He soon decided to make himself a home in the new township. After closing his business in Essex County he, with his family, came to Falmouth in the spring of 1737. The last entry in his book in Marblehead is under date of April twenty-fifth. He did not immediately go to the new township, but remained in Falmouth, where he commenced his old business of keeping a house of entertainment and working at his trade. His book contains charges against many of the leading men of the town, Rev. Mr. Smith, Col. Thomas Westbrook, and Moses Pearson, for whom in 1738 he made" a plush coat and britches trimmed with silver lace." From his account we learn that Mr. Pearson kept an Indian boy, who wore a red jacket, and a negro, both of whom wore leather breeches. The church record of the first parish in Falmouth, in October. 1738, has this entry:-
      Thomas Chute, Mary his wife, and Abagail, their daughter, being regularly dismissed from Marblehead church, were admitted to the one here.
      While living at Falmouth, Chute had been preparing for a new home in the new township, ten miles off. The precise date of his removal to New Marblehead is not known. His first charge in the book there is against Rev. John Wight, the first minister of the town, for twenty-nine week's board. He was ordained and settled in the town in December, 1743, and Chute and his family were dismissed from the Falmouth church and recommended to that at New Marblehead.
      Mr. Chute in his new home became the first settler of the township. His house was near the shore of Presumpscot river, which was the best highway to Saccarappa, three miles off, where his nearest neighbors lived. The settlers in the new tier of towns were really picket sentinels for the coast towns - sure to be attacked first in the event of an Indian war. In 1743, in expectation of a French and Indian war, the General Court of the Province appropriated twelve hundred pounds for the defense of the eastern settlements, of which one hundred pounds was assigned to New Marblehead. This was expended by a committee of the legislative council in building a fort of square timber two stories high and fifty feet on the sides, with flankers of twelve feet square at the two diagonally opposite corners. These flankers each contained a mounted swivel gun, furnished by the proprietors of the township, and a long nine-pound gun was mounted in front of the fort to fire as an alarm gun. This was furnished by the Province, and the whole work was enclosed by a palisade. This fort was built in February and March, 1743. In the same book already quoted, Mr. Chute charged for the labor of himself, his son, and his hired man, on the fort to the amount of sixteen pounds and six shillings, and in December of the same year, he credited the Province, by the hands of the committee, one hundred and fifty pounds old tenor, to balance the charge of sixteen pounds and ten shillings lawful money. Mr. Chute continued his habits of thrift in the new town. Besides the clearing of bis farm he hauled masts to the river and furnished the settlers with goods of different kinds, made their clothes and entertained them with drinks. His neighbors probably gathered at his house after the labors of the day, to hear from the outside world, from some one who had been to town, as the settlement at Falmouth Neck was called, and some treated in their turn.
      Moses Pearson continued his custom to Chute's house after he removed to New Marblehead. It was a half-way house on his way to Pearsontown, now Standish. He often stayed over night. Here is a sample of Chute's charges to him," To a bowl of toddy and oats for ye horse." The same year is this charge:
      "To one mug of flip when your son Freeman came from logging." This was Joshua Freeman, his son-in-law, who lived where Jeremiah Dow now does on Grove Street. Rev. Dr. Deane married another of Pearson's daughters, and fled to Freeman's when the town was burnt in 1775. In 1749 Mr. Chute attended the General Court at Boston seventy-three days as agent to defend the inhabitants against Capt. Daniel Hill's petition: but there is no intimation in the book what was the purport of the petition. In 1751 John Frost of Kittery, justice of the Court of General Sessions, issued a warrant to Chute as "one of the principal inhabitants," to warn them to assemble for the choice of officers, according to an act of the General Court. This warrant is among the papers. In 1762 the town was incorporated by the name of Windham, and Mr. Chute was the town clerk from that year until 1766, when he was chosen selectman, and charged for eight days' work, making "town, county and province rates." Mr. Chute died in 1770 aged eighty years. His descendants can be numbered by hundreds. He had an only son, Curtis, who had lived with the father but was killed by lightning. In Parson Smith's Journalof 1767, June 5, is this entry: -
      Curtis Chute and one young man were killed in an instant by the lightning at the Widow Gooding's- Harrison and others hurt, and near being killed, and the house near being destroyed also.
      Curtis Chute was a selectman, and in the town clerk's book of records of Windham is the following vote recorded in town meeting: -
      Voted, that Peter Cobb be selectman and assessor this year in the room of Curtis Chute, who was killed by the thunder June ye third at Falmouth.
      Thomas Chute had two daughters; Sarah married John Bodge of Windham, and was drowned in 1776. Abigail married Cobham.
      Curtis Chute, who was killed at Falmouth left a widow and five children. She seems to have been a business woman, and carried on the homestead farm, continued the old family book of accounts, and reared her four sons to be useful and respectable citizens. Josiah, Thomas and James were in the army of the Revolution. John was selectman in 1806. He continued to live on his grandfather's farm until about 1830, when he moved to Naples and opened a public house at the foot of Long Pond, where he died in 1857, aged ninety years. He was father of John Chute, the second cashier of Casco Bank. A daughter married a Mr. Church, who continued the public house. Josiah Chute, the son of Curtis, and a grandson of the first Thomas, was born June fourth, 1759. At the commencement of the Revolution, he was sixteen years old. He enlisted in the army and served two years, but I do not learn with what body of troops he served. On his discharge he again enlisted in a company under Capt. Richard Mayberry of Windham. I have the muster-master's book of records which has Chute's name and that of his brother Thomas, and says they were mustered with their company January 21, 1777. From his former service Josiah was appointed a sergeant and clerk of the company. The muster-master's book says the company was attached to the regiment under Col. Francis. It became the fifth company of the eleventh regiment of the Massachusetts Bay forces and was in the left wing of the army under Gen. Gates in the campaign of 1777, which ended in the capture of Burgoyne at Saratoga in October.
      My own great-grandfather, Nathan Noble, belonging to Capt. John Skilling's Falmouth and Scarborough company, was killed by a musket shot in his head while entering the British works alongside of Capt. Mayberry's company just before the surrender. He had fought for the English at Louisburg thirty-two years before in the" Canada Expeditions" of 1757, 1758 and 1759 and now was killed by an English bullet. He also served in Capt. Winthrop Boston's company at the siege of Boston in 1776.
      Chute was not at the surrender of Burgoyne. He was wounded at the battle of Hubbardton, July seventh, three months previous, when he received a musket ball in his shoulder, and his commander, Col. Francis was killed by his side while enquiring about Chute's wound. He was taken prisoner and put into a hospital tent, from which he and another made their escape and were two weeks in the woods before they got to a friendly settlement and finally reached his home. After the healing of his wound which required two years, he returned to his regiment and having only one month more to serve he obtained his discharge which I have. It is written in the book of his own muster-roll. It reads thus: ----
      Headquarters - Robinson's House, Peekskill Dec. 12th 1779.
      Sergeant Josiah Chute of the Eleventh Massachussetts regiment having been reported as a faithful soldier who has been wounded in battle, and thereby rendered unfit for duty, has leave of absence from the camp until the first day of January next, in the year 1780. As Major Knap has reported that the time for which said Chute engaged to serve in the army, will expire on the said first day of January next, he is not required to again join his regiment, but to receive this as a discharge from the army of the United States of America, as fully as if given after his time of service had expired.
      By command of Maj. Gen. Heath.
      Th. Cartwright
      Aid de Camp.
      Mr. Chute was then twenty-one years of age. He came home to his widowed mother with his depreciated Continental money in his pocket, with which he was paid off, which was of small value, but he had good pluck; he commenced the ordinary business of his life as if nothing had happened. He engaged in farming, school teaching, and town business. He was selectman twenty years, between 1788 and 1816. He was representative to Massachusetts General Court ten years, 1805-12 and 1817-20. He was a delegate from his town to the convention that formed the constitution of Maine in 1819. He was much respected by his townsmen. The centennial of the incorporation of Windham occured in 1862. In response to an invitation from the citizens of the town, Gov. John A, Andrew of Massachusetts, a native of Windham, left his pressing business of sending forward troops to the army, and on the Fourth of July he delivered a centenial address to his former fellow citizens. In that address he alluded to Josiah Chute and another - his fellow soldier, in these words:-
      But I must mention two men who never should be omitted¬these two soldiers of the Revolution, Josiah Chute and John Swett: venerable when first I knew them, yet intelligent and active. Many times and oft, on a pleasant morning like this, have I rode with my mother and listened to the story of events in which they played a part. You know how warmly glows every emotion of the heart when we return to the old family hearthstone. So long as memory bears the recollections of childhood, so long as the earth of Windham is consecrated by the sacred dust of one [his mother] whom no fortunes of life can cause me to forget -so long will her interests and people be near and dear to my affectionate memories.
      Josiah Chute died October 2, 1834, aged seventy-five years, leaving seven sons and daughters.
      How sleep the brave who sink to rest, By all their country's wishes blest!
      Mr. Chute's son, George W., remained at home, and smoothed his father's pillow in his last days, when the British bullet, which he had carried fifty-five years, caused him pain.
      This son, true to the original stock, was a valuable citizen, and spent his life on the father's farm. Here he substantially walled up a family burial lot, and also a larger one adjoining, which he presented to the town for public use. He died a bachelor, on the twenty-third of November 1882, aged seventy-seven years. By his will he set aside one thousand dollars, to be expended by his executors in the erection of two similar marble monuments in the family burial lot: one to be inscribed to the memory of Thomas Chute, his great-grandfather, and the other to his own memory.
      While I was preparing Mr. Chute's will, as he had no descendants, he expressed a wish that I would accept these family mementoes, his great-grandfather's books and papers including the commission as deputy sheriff, one hundred and fifty years old, and his father's muster-rolls of December, 1778. One has his discharge at Peekskill on the back. The other is dated at West Point, January 1,1779. They are probably duplicates. He authorized me to dispose of them as I thought best for their safe keeping. The rolls are very valuable. Of course it occurred to me that the library of the Maine Historical Society was the proper place for them, where they would he safe and accessible to all. Accordingly I now present them to the Society without reserve.

      «b»Record Type:«/b» Chute Family History/Book
      «b»Title:«/b» «i»A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources«/i»
      «b»Author:«/b» William Edward Chute
      «b»Published:«/b» Salem, Massachusetts, 1894
      «b»Comments:«/b» Copy originally owned by George Maynard Chute, nephew of William Edward Chute with his signature on the flyleaf; handwritten notes in margins; passed to George Maynard Chute, Jr. who published an updated addendum to this work in 1968; passed to George Maynard Chute, III; passed to Jacqueline Irene Chute.
      «b»Location:«/b» Privately held

      «b»Record Type:«/b» Book
      «b»Title:«/b» Collections of the Proceedings of the Maine Historical Society, Second Series, Volume VII
      «b»Author:«/b» William Goold.
      «b»Publisher:«/b» Published by the Maine Historical Society
      «b»Date:«/b» Published in 1896 by the Thurston Print, Portland, Maine. Read before the Maine Historical Society, December 23, 1882
      «b»Page:«/b» 412-423
      «b»Individual(s):«/b» Thomas Chute, Curtis Chute, Josiah Chute and families
      «b»This Source Has Been Cited for:«/b» «u»Thomas Chute«/u»and Mary Curtis Chute.
      «b»HARD COPY GROUP NO:«/b» Chute Family Records/GP2940-1,2
    Person ID I55611  Glenn Cook Family
    Last Modified 6 Mar 2015 

    Father James Chute,   b. 1648, Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts, American Colonies Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1730, Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts. Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 82 years) 
    Mother Mary Wood,   b. 15 May 1655, Rowley, Essex County, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1694, Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 38 years) 
    Married 10 Nov 1673  Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts, American Colonies Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F551612262  Group Sheet

     1. Curtis Chute,   b. 15 Sep 1728, Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, American Colonies Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Jun 1767, Portland, Cumberland County, Maine, American Colonies Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 38 years)
    Last Modified 18 Mar 2008 
    Family ID F551614595  Group Sheet