Cook Family
Genealogy Pages

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames

First Name:

Last Name:

Pellum Cartwright Teeple

Male 1809 - 1878  (69 years)

Personal Information    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Pellum Cartwright Teeple 
    Born 28 Nov 1809 
    Gender Male 
    Anecdote 1837  [1
    • Pellum Cartwright, (originally spelled Pelham) thirteenth and
      youngest child of Peter Teeple, was born 28th November 1809,
      and was a participator in the Upper Canadian Rebellion in 1837,
      or the Patriot War, as it was then often called. He was the
      leader of a band of young Canadians opposed to the long
      mis-government of the county by an irresponsible body of men
      known as the Family Compact, who ignored the statutes passed by
      the parliament representatives of the people, and frustrated
      their will; and when it was determined to fight, he was chosen
      a captain, but on the flight to the United States of the two
      principle leaders, William Lyon MacKenzie and Hon. John Rolph,
      all those who had been leaders under them were compelled to
      follow them into exile or forfeit their lives.

      Pellum, on attempting to flee, fell in with a party of soldiers
      who made him their prisoner. The story of his capture and
      escape is thus told by his nephew, Luke, son of Simon Peter
      Teeple, who heard it from his own lips:

      "The price set upon his head by the Canadian Government was
      $600. He was determined to leave Canada and was then on his way
      to the western frontier line. He was riding a horse and had
      reached a point some seven or eight miles westerly from London,
      Ont., on the road leading from that city along the southern
      side of the River Thames. His brother, Edward Manning Teeple,
      lived on the road some two or three miles from London, and he
      was coming from his house. On turning a bend in the road, he
      came in full view of a sergeant and six men advancing towards
      him. He could neither retreat or conceal himself, so he rode
      steadily on and met them. The sergeant halted him and piled him
      with questions, and as his answers were unsatisfactory, he was
      taken in charge, faced about and obliged to go with them
      towards London. They dismounted him and the sergeant rode the
      house. Plodding along for some time, darkness overtook them
      before they reached the city. They stopped at a tavern, and the
      soldiers ordered a meal, which was at once prepared. They then
      asked him to come and eat with them, but he assured them he was
      not hungry, and they left their guns in the bar room and went
      into the next room and sat down to eat.

      He also went with them into the same room and asked the
      waitress for a drink of water. He was on the side of the table
      next to the outside, and as the girl gave him the drink of
      water, she flung this door wide open, and in an instant he was
      through it and made for the woods. The men sprang for their
      arms and came rushing out, firing after him. He could hear the
      orders given to surround the cluster of tavern buildings, and
      saw lights moving, but he made good his escape into the
      adjoining forest. There was snow on the ground and running was
      difficult, yet for fear of being overtaken, he kept at it until
      almost exhausted. Taking what he supposed to be a course
      between the public road and the river, he at length came upon
      the latter, but he did not know whether above or below his
      starting point. Going down to the water, which was frozen over,
      he followed along until he espied an airhole; into this he
      threw a stick to see which way the water ran; then going down
      the stream he finally came upon a house. By this time he was
      excessively fatigued and very very hungry from his long fast.
      He went up and knocked at the door, and a man appeared and
      began talking with him. He had no means of ascertaining whether
      this man was a Patriot or not, so he feigned himself an urgent
      dispatch bearer of important official papers which must be
      delivered in London with utmost haste. He said he had given out
      in travelling and insisted upon the man's acceptance and
      conveyance to London forthwith, as he was utterly unable to go
      on himself. The man demurrred, so after an earnest discussion,
      Pellum said, "Well, if I could rest a few minutes and get some
      food to eat, I might possibly try to go on". He then heard the
      man's wife getting up, and she vehemently protested that her
      husband could not go, but said she would get Pellum something
      to eat at once, which she did. While eating he became satisfied
      they were Patriots, and revealed his true position.

      The man then said they could not keep him there, but that they
      would see that he was hidden and fed at a neighbour's over the
      hill. Pellum went with him to the neighbour's and was concealed
      there for a time. If there was any likelihood of capture one of
      the children at the first house was to come over the hill and
      notify him. He was alarmed one day by seeing one of the
      children come running over the hill, but it proved to be only a
      neighbourly call. After a few days had passed and he thought
      search for him had ceased, he worked his way through the woods
      at night up to his brother Edward's, and soon after went in the
      same way to the home of his sister, Mary, wife of Angus Davis,
      of Orwell,Ont., on Talbot Street. Several weeks were spent in
      this hazardous trip.

      Mary and Andrus Davis were reputed to be staunch Loyalists, and
      there is no account of any attempt to search for him at their
      place. There he was supplied with food for a short time, but
      the danger of recapture was so great that he did not remain all
      the time in the house but kept concealed sometimes in the
      woods. Still fearing arrest and execution, as some of his
      compatriots had thus suffered, his sister, Mary Davis, nephew,
      James Teeple, and sister-in-law Jemima Teeple, conducted him
      secretly in the dead of winter by sleigh from Orwell, to the
      Niagara frontier, where his relative Rev. Samuel Rose, of
      Lundy's Lane, though a political opponent of the Patriots,
      espoused his cause and under the pretense of being the employer
      of Pellum, sent him on an errand to friends across the Niagara,
      and at once hired a man to row him across a point below the

      He, Pellum, grew very intense when relating this part of the
      narrative and declared that had any one ordered the boatman
      back to the Canadian shore he would have leaped overboard and
      attempted to swim to the American side. But no difficulty
      arose; he was safely landed in New York State and waving a
      parting adieu to his relatives, who sat in their conveyance and
      witnessed his crossing, he began his career in the United

      Through the Patriot War, thus came to so inglorious an end, it
      is now generally admitted in Canada, that had it not been for
      that uprising by which the attention of the British Government
      was called to the untold grievances of the Canadians and a just
      form of responsible Government quickly conceded, it would in
      all probability have been many years before the people of
      Canada would have obtained that full measure of Home Rule which
      they henceforth enjoyed.

      We next hear of Pellum's journey down the Ohio River with a
      party intending to go to Texas, but becoming dissatisfied with
      the rolstering of his companions, he left them and struck
      across the country to a place called Pekin, on the Illinois
      River. From there he eventually went to the city of Rockford,
      Ill., where on the 28th of March 1841, he married Mary A.
      Gleason, who is still living.

      His father and mother were now so old they were desirous he
      should come home to Canada, and care for them the rest of their
      days, but although he had already paid them one secret visit he
      would not do this until a special amnesty was sent him by the
      Canadian government for his part in the Patriot War. This was
      readily obtained by the then parliamentary member for Oxford,
      and forwarded to him, and he journeyed to the old home in
      Oxford county, accompanied by his wife, son Charles, and Luke
      (son of Simon H. Teeple), who lived with them, in a two-horse
      buggy, there being no railroads, and remained there till the
      two old pioneers were laid away in the church yard. Later he
      returned to Illinois, and settled at Marengo, where he died on
      the 12th of December 1878, and where his son, Charles, above
      referred to, still resides. Pellum Teeple had six sons, viz:
      Charles Gleason, Addison, Vebelle, Levant, Jared, Lester and
      Frank, and four daughters Elmina, Elvira, Ruth L., and Lydia
    Died 12 Dec 1878 
    • From the Maybee Society files. Not all data is verified. Say dates are estimates and are probably within 20 years. The Maybee Society keeps its data on The Master Genealogist�, and has been modified by Gary Hester?s WIT2NOTE� to form the GedCom file. This information is also available in a TMG file.
    Person ID I37654  Glenn Cook Family
    Last Modified 30 Nov 2006 

    Father Peter Teeple,   b. 14 Jul 1762, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Jul 1847, Oxford, Oxford County, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 85 years) 
    Mother Lydia Mabee,   b. 6 Jun 1770, Dutchess County, New York Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Feb 1845, Oxford, Oxford County, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 74 years) 
    Married 8 Jan 1785  Saint John, , New Brunswick, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Land 1797  Turkey Point, Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    • They were the first settlers at Turkey Point. After the survey
      of 1797, he was granted lot 8, Broken Front, Charlotte Twp. on
      the northern shoreline of Lake Erie. He quickly rose to
      prominence in the district
    Family ID F551604419  Group Sheet

    Family Mary Amelia Gleason,   b. 20 Sep 1816,   d. 1 May 1901  (Age 84 years) 
    Married 28 Mar 1841 
    Last Modified 30 Nov 2006 
    Family ID F551605035  Group Sheet

  • Sources 
    1. [S1233] Barbara Millar, Barbara Miller, A SKETCH BY W.B. WATERBURY, PUBLISHED IN THE SOUTHERN COUNTIES JOURNAL, ST. THOMAS, IN 1899, (Reliability: 3).

    2. [S1248] Royal A Mabee's notebook, Royal A. Mabee Royal's information was principally based on interviews with descendants. There is a significant chance for error in his dates for early generations The original of Royal's notebook is at the New York Genealogical and Biographical Soc.

    3. [S1260] 6,000 New York Ancestors, R. Robert Mutrie, (1986).